Shopping for hair extensions can be overwhelming, especially when buying them online.
Indeed, there are many different brands, types, textures, lengths, colors, and styles available.
And in addition to knowing what brand, style, texture, and color to choose, you might also be wondering whether they’ll look natural on you. After all, you probably don’t want everyone to notice you’re wearing extensions.
So, to help you in your task, we’ve decided to put together this quick guide highlighting the top things you should pay attention to when purchasing hair extensions.
If you want your hair extensions to look natural, you’ll need to be careful and make sure that they suit your own hair color. As a result, we’d recommend that you pick extensions that match the ends of your hair. This way, they’ll seamlessly blend in with your natural hair, giving the illusion they’re real.
If you’d like a subtle highlight effect to add dimension to your hair color, you can safely select extensions within the range of one tone lighter or darker from your natural color.
Anything over one shade, and people will be able to tell that you’re wearing extensions.
Note that some companies offer color-matching services, which can prove extremely useful to help you get the right shade.
Natural or Synthetic Hair
Hair extensions can be made of real human hair or plastic. So, you need to understand the difference between the two and choose what suits your needs and budget best.
- Synthetic hair: these extensions are made of fine plastic fibers. They can’t be colored or styled and have a really high shine which can make them very noticeable. They also tangle easily. However, they’re affordable and can be perfect for a night out or to spice things up every now and then.
- Natural or Remy hair: natural hair extensions are more expensive, but they’re higher quality. They’re made of human hair and can therefore be dyed and styled. If picked properly, they’ll look natural and seamlessly blend with your own hair.
Hair Extension Types
There are a few different types of extensions on the market, including:
- Sew-ins: these types of hair extensions are usually applied in a salon, are very versatile, and can last for months. They’re the most permanent option and generally blend in the best with natural hair.
- Tape-ins: tape-in extensions need to be glued in by a professional, and the process can damage your natural hair as it’s glued directly to it. However, they’re very versatile, can be worn in the shower or at the gym, and will last a while when adequately cared for.
- Clip-ins: clip-in extensions are easy to apply yourself as you can clip them directly onto your hair. As such, they’re not a permanent option and don’t damage your hair as they can be easily removed and don’t require chemicals or heat to be applied. Also, they can last up to six months.
Browse our article for more information on hair extension types.
While these are the main things to look for when purchasing hair extensions, you should also factor in:
- The level of care and commitment the extensions will require based on their type.
- Their price, based on the quality.
- The style you’re after including wavy, curly, or straight.
If you’re looking for high-quality raw hair extensions that last longer and look better than most of the products on the market, don’t hesitate to browse the Femme + Fierce Hair range.