With the right care, our quality hair extensions have the potential to last up to 3 years when proper care is taken. Here are our best practices for long-term care.
Femme + Fierce Hair Care Guide
How to Wash Your Hair Extensions
Your hair extensions don't need to be washed often, but if you do need to wash, here's how to do it safely:
- Place your extensions in a bowl or sink of lukewarm water to open hair cuticles for adequate cleansing.
- Next, apply a sulfate-free shampoo. Gently rub the hair between the palms of your hands from root to tips, avoiding scrubbing motions that can cause tangling.
- Apply a hydrating conditioner and let sit for up to an hour.
- Rinse gently with cool water and lay flat to dry.
How to dry wavy or curly hair extensions
Its best practice to dry Wavy/Curly hair by air drying. This way the hair will return to its natural state.
How to dry straight hair extensions
For best results we suggest drying with a blow dryer and finishing with hair straighteners in order to achieve bone straight hair.
How to Store Your Hair Extensions
Before storing your extensions away, let them dry completely to keep them sanitary and prevent damage. The best way to store your hair extensions and maintain their integrity is to use a storage bag or clip hanger. Hang your extensions in a garment bag or place them in a drawer.
How to Style Your Extensions
All our hair extensions are made from 100% human hair, which means they can be styled just like your normal hair. However, just like natural human hair they, your extensions can be damaged. To help keep them looking their best, we suggest using heat wisely.
For best result’s, use lower heat temperature settings on your tools, and keep styling tool use to a minimum. We recommend using tools at less than 350 degrees. Always use a heat protectant prior to use.
Daily Care for Your Extensions
We recommend detangling your hair extensions with a wide tooth comb or brush. You want to do this every day to keep the hair looking and feeling soft and avoid issues of matting. Products like serums and curl hydrators are great to incorporate into your regimen, as long as they are used in moderation.
Detangle your hair extensions with a wide tooth comb or brush. We recommend doing this daily to keep your extensions looking and feeling soft and avoiding tangles or mats. Keep use of styling products to a minimum. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Avoid alcohol-based products as these can leave hair dry and brittle
- Choose a sulfate-free shampoo
- Avoid heavy oils and choose lightweight serums instead
- Avoid gels for styling and choose putties or waxes instead
- Avoid aerosol sprays like hair spray and choose foam wrap as an alternative to hold curled styles
- Avoid shampoos designed to treat dandruff, oily hair, thin hair, or color damage as they can be harsh
- Avoid cotton scarves as they can absorb much-needed moisture
- If you want to dye your hair extensions, we recommend seeing a professional
Daily care for wavy and curly hair
Dampen hair with a spray bottle before detangling to prevent unnecessary tugging, pulling, and tangling.
Daily care for straight hair
For best results detangle straight hair while dry. Hold the root of the hair and detangle from ends to roots.
How to Care for Your Hair Extensions at Night
Before going to bed, we recommend removing your hair and storing it away safely. If you are wearing your hair to bed, gently detangle and place it in a loose twist or bun. Wear a satin scarf that completely covers the hair to prevent friction that causes frizziness.